The main change by Parse is the elimination of pricing tiers, and the cloud application platform said new customers will use the new pricing model, and existing customers will have six months to opt in.
I’m really excited to announce a major update to our pricing model that we’ve been working on for some time.
The old model dates back to late 2011, when we first opened up our beta to the world. The overwhelming majority of feedback we got was, “Parse is great, but how much is it actually going to cost?” So we scrambled to put something together quickly, fully expecting to change it before coming out of beta. It turns out that developers loved it and we stuck with it.
We’ve grown an incredible amount over these past three years and it came time to revisit our pricing. We set out to improve it in three ways:
- Make it easier for developers to predict and estimate their costs when using Parse.
- Make our product more self-serve for developers who grow very quickly on our platform.
- Offer more for free!
Moving forward, there won’t be different “tiers” of Parse. There’s only one type of Parse account, and you can have an unlimited number of apps or games within it. For each of those apps, you get the following:
- 30 application-programming-interface requests per second (+ $100 per additional 10 requests per second)
- 20 gigabytes of file storage (+ $0.03 per GB over)
- 20 GB of database storage
- 2 terabytes of file transfer (+ $0.10 per GB over)
- 1 million unique recipients per month (+$0.05 per 1,000 unique recipients over)
- Advanced push targeting, push scheduling, and multiple push certificates available to everyone for free!
- Completely free! (including advanced analytics)
New customers will begin using this model today. If you’re an existing customer, you have six months to opt-in. We expect folks to move over quickly, as we’re confident that this is a better model for everyone. At 30 requests per second, an app can send us 77.76 million API requests in one month before needing to pay a dime. That’s over 70 times what we offered before!
Developers: Good deal?