Facebook kicked off its five-city Facebook Fit tour — a conference to help small businesses market themselves on the social network — in New York Tuesday. Some 900 small business owners were in attendance, and Global Director of Small Business Dan Levy announced some new numbers related to mobile and small businesses.
Levy (pictured below) said at the event:
Today is a pretty pivotal event for us at Facebook. Today is the first big event we’ve ever done with small business owners. We’ve been doing small events around the country for a few years … We’re going to have to get beyond online to be successful.
Over the past six months, according to Levy, the social network has been much more proactive in reaching out to small businesses in a few ways: face-to-face events, advocacy networks, and its Small and Medium Business Council.
Levy said Facebook is announcing some new numbers Tuesday:
- More than 30 million small businesses have pages on Facebook that they update at least once per month. That is up 5 million from 25 million small business pages at the end of the fourth quarter of 2013.
- Upwards of 19 million small businesses are managing their Facebook pages on mobile, either through the flagship Facebook applications or its Pages Manager apps.
- 1 million small businesses are now advertising on Facebook.
Levy wouldn’t comment specifically on how much money small businesses are spending on Facebook ads. He did, however, say that they are spending a range from as low as $5 to tens of thousands of dollars.
He said businesses should post content that their customers want to see. “It’s being authentic as a small business,” he said, adding that Facebook advertising is one way to get “predictable reach.”
When asked by a reporter if organic reach will decline over time, Levy said:
Things are going to change, and we’re going to keep making changes, whether it’s News Feed or other products.
Here’s the schedule for the rest of the Facebook Fit events across the country this summer:
- Miami, Thursday, June 19
- Chicago, Thursday, July 10
- Austin, Texas, Thursday, July 24
- Menlo Park, Calif., Tuesday, Aug. 5
Small and midsized business owners: What do you think of the Facebook Fit initiative thus far?
Photos by Tim Sohn.