One-quarter of small business owners hate social media, but they love Facebook — or better to say they hate it the least.
A recent survey by iContact found that small businesses feel overwhelmed by social media.
The reasons small businesses said they hate social media included the sense that too much time was required and “It has nothing to do with the merit of the business, but who can manipulate the system.”
On the flip side, when iContact asked small businesses which social networks they loved, Facebook blew away the competition, at 76 percent.
Why the discrepancy in opinions? iContact is attempting to answer that question with its Social Media Love It Hate It $25K Video Contest, in which small business owners are being asked to upload videos explaining why they love or hate social media, due December 5.
Visitors to the site can vote on the entries, and the best love and hate videos will bring $10,000 prizes to their creators, with the second-place finishers in each category resulting in $2,500 prizes.
How did the various social networks fare in iContact’s survey?
- Facebook: As stated above, 76 percent of respondents said they love Facebook, with nonprofits (87 percent) and those in the education industry (82 percent) leading the charge; small businesses in the finance and insurance sector were much more tepid, at 33 percent.
- Groupon: The deals site took a beating, with 70 percent of small businesses saying they hate it, led by that grumpy finance and insurance sector (80 percent). Not surprisingly, spas and salons hated Groupon much less, at 45 percent.
- Twitter: 140 characters yielded a fairly even split, as 54 percent of respondents said they loved the microblogging service, while 46 percent hated it. Interestingly, larger companies were high on Twitter, while those with fewer than 25 employees were not.
- Google Plus: Perhaps due to its relative infancy, opinion of Google Plus was nearly split down the middle, with 48 percent loving it and 52 percent hating it.
- LinkedIn: The professional networking site was a big hit with small businesses that offer professional services, at an 82 percent love rate. Overall, 63 percent of respondents approved of LinkedIn, with especially high approval rates from businesses with fewer than 50 employees.
Readers: Do you love or hate social media enough to produce a video about it?