Facebook said its top 10 topics for the week in terms of buzz rankings (Sunday through Wednesday) were:
- Tornadoes and storms in the South and Midwest U.S.
- The announcement of the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII
- The National Basketball Association bans Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life
- Actor Bob Hoskins dies at 71
- Prom season
- Real Madrid defeats FC Bayern Munich in the Champions League semifinal
- Sarah Palin’s comments on waterboarding
- The 10th anniversary of Mean Girls
- The botched execution of Oklahoma prisoner Clayton Lockett
- U.S. Senate rejects bill to raise federal minimum wage
Other athletes and celebrities to make the cut this week were:
- The letter from NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announcing Sterling’s lifetime ban.
- Miami Heat Forward LeBron James weighs in on Sterling’s ban.
- The response to Sterling’s ban on the Clippers’ page.
- Actress and director Melissa Joan Hart remembers Hoskins.
- Real Madrid Goalkeeper Iker Casillas celebrates his club’s victory.
- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) shares a video from NBC’s “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”
- Singer Thalia in the studio.
- Manchester United Forward Wayne Rooney reaches 19 million likes on Facebook.
- Bill Nye the Science Guy and actor Adam Scott at the White House.
- BASE jumper Joby Ogwyn heading home.
- Boxers Carl Froch and George Groves discuss their May 31 rematch in a live question-and-answer session at Facebook’s London office with Sky Sports.
- Dallas Cowboys Wide Receiver Dez Bryant wishes Dallas Mavericks Shooting Guard Vince Carter luck prior to game six of the Mavericks’ NBA playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs.
- Actor and director Adrian Grenier asks, “What would you do if you weren’t afraid?”
- President Barack Obama welcomes May.
Readers: Did any of your favorite athletes or celebrities make the cut?