Five of the top 10 global game developers on Facebook are from Europe, the Middle East, or Asia, compared with just one in 2011, Julien Codorniou, the social network’s head of games partnerships for EMEA, said during Facebook’s developer day at GDC Europe last month.
Facebook offered more highlights from its GDC Europe developer day in a post on its developer blog, including:
- Codorniou highlighted success stories from Wooga, King.com, Plumbee, Nordeus, and FreshPlanet, and offered insight on how to benefit from open graph, as well as how to use Facebook as a growth engine for mobile.
- Facebook Product Manager for Games and Applications Matt Wyndowe discussed the state of the Facebook games ecosystem and app center, and he was joined by King.com CEO Riccardo Zacconi and Plarium Business Development Lead Leonard Frankel, who spoke about the success of their companies’ respective game titles, Bubble Witch Saga and Total Domination.
- Facebook Partner Engineer for Games Colin Creitz walked through the essential steps to build and grow a social game on Facebook.com.
- Partner Engineer for Games Ali Parr touched on the basics of how to integrate Facebook into native iOS games by using the social network’s new software development kit for iOS.
- Partner Engineer for Games Gareth Morris discussed techniques and best practices for using open graph to acquire new users and keep existing users coming back to games, and Morris and Partner Engineer for Games Namita Gupta spoke about advanced features for accelerating games’ growth via Facebook.
- Creitz discussed best practices for monetizing games, including app subscriptions, local currency, and promotions to convert players into payers.