The ages-old, heated rivalry between Major League Baseball’s New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox isn’t much of a rivalry in terms of Facebook likes, as the Yankees’ 5.3 million placed the ball club well ahead of Boston’s 3.5 million and the rest of the league.
With the first pitches of the 2012 MLB season to be thrown on domestic soil tonight, social media agency Banyan Branch listed the league’s top 10 franchises in terms of Facebook likes.
Banyan Branch also pointed out that the American League edged the National League in terms of people talking about this by a margin of 53 percent to 47 percent.
The Seattle Mariners and Oakland Athletics actually opened the 2012 MLB campaign in Japan last week, but tonight’s game — in which the World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals visit the Miami Marlins to play the first official game in brand-new Marlins Park — will mark the first MLB action of the season in this hemisphere.
The top 10 MLB franchises, in terms of Facebook likes:
- New York Yankees, 5.3 million
- Boston Red Sox, 3.5 million
- Chicago Cubs, 1.6 million
- San Francisco Giants, 1.4 million
- Philadelphia Phillies, 1.2 million
- St. Louis Cardinals, 1.2 million
- Texas Rangers, 1.2 million
- Atlanta Braves, 1.1 million
- Los Angeles Dodgers, 950,000
- Detroit Tigers, 950,000