For brands on Facebook, paid media not only increases the reach of News Feed posts, but it also bumps up organic and viral impressions by up to 200 percent, according to a study of more than 2,000 News Feed posts in the first and second quarters, which generated more than 2 billion impressions, by social rich-media platform ShopIgniter.
The study by ShopIgniter also found that:
- Post-click social rich media had an average conversion rate of 4.4 percent.
- More than 51 percent of total campaign engagement was on mobile.
- Photo and link posts had among the best click-through rates, at 0.07 percent and 0.06 percent, respectively.
- Richer experiences post-click drove down negative feedback rates 600 percent.
- Unpaid status update posts averaged five times more organic impressions than any other unpaid post type.
- In terms of paid media, video posts received a 36 percent viral boost, and offers saw a 23 percent gain.
ShopIgniter Senior Director of Strategy Justin Kistner, the study’s primary author, said:
The key findings reflect the fact that Facebook ad performance is on par with the best-performing digital channels, emphasizing the fact that social media marketing is the fourth leg of the digital marketing stool, alongside email marketing, SEO (search-engine optimization), and display. While one size does not fit all, especially when paid media is involved, with this analysis in hand, marketers can create a very effective Facebook post strategy that also supports their marketing objectives.
Moreover, the findings indicate that brands need to be smart about what post types they employ to support both short-term tactics and long-term strategic goals. It is clear from this benchmark analysis that putting media dollars behind Facebook posts is a sound strategy, especially when it comes to offers and rich interactive experiences.
Readers: Did any of ShopIgniter’s findings surprise you?