They're BAAACK! Winklevii Sue Facebook, Again

Just when you thought it was safe to assume Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss finished trying to sue Facebook, the annoying duo have decided to redirect their complaint to Boston’s federal court.

A few days ago, the twins dropped their plans to ask the U.S. Supreme Court to void previous legal rulings upholding a settlement originally valued at $65 million – but now worth an additional $35 million because Facebook’s share value has risen.

Many legal analysts thought that would be the end of the road. But noooo! The twins and their business partner Divya Narendra said they planned to ask the judge to investigate whether Facebook “intentionally or inadvertently suppressed evidence,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

Remember those pesky instant messages allegedly sent by Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg while he was at Harvard to the Connect U business partners, and were leaked to a couple of media outlets last year?

Turns out the Winklevosses and Narendra want the Boston federal court to look into their claims that Facebook and its lawyers hid the instant messages from them during litigation. That request had been suspended during the U.S. Supreme Court appeal.

“These are old and baseless allegations that have been considered and rejected previously by the courts,” Neel Chatterjee, an attorney for Facebook, said on the record.

Legal analysts believe there isn’t much hope that the twins will have any more luck this time around, so don’t expect a sequel to The Social Network just yet.

Readers, do you think the twins should continue their case against Facebook?

Related Stories
Mediabistro Course

Social Media 201

Social Media 201Starting October 13, Social Media 201 picks up where Social Media 101 left off, to provide you with hands-on instruction for gaining likes, followers, retweets, favorites, pins, and engagement. Social media experts will teach you how to make social media marketing work for your bottom line and achieving your business goals. Register now!