The Group A matches of 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil concluded Monday, with host Brazil winning the group by defeating Cameroon 4-1, while Mexico also advanced to the tournament’s elimination round with a 3-1 victory over Croatia. According to the Facebook Data Science Team, the simultaneous matches led to more than 41 million interactions (posts, comments, and likes) on the social network, from some 18 million users.
The two players who generated the most global buzz on Facebook were Neymar of Brazil and Javier “Chicharito” Hernández of Mexico, and the top five social moments in Monday’s Group A action were:
- Chicharito scores in the 82nd minute to give Mexico a 3-0 lead.
- Neymar scores in the 35th minute to give Brazil a 2-1 lead.
- Neymar gives Brazil a 1-0 lead with a goal in the 17th minute.
- Andrés Guardado scores to give Mexico a 2-0 lead in the 75th minute.
- Rafa Marquez scores in the 72nd minute to give Mexico a 1-0 lead.
The top five demographic groups discussing the Group A games on Facebook were:
- Women 18 through 24.
- Men 18 through 24.
- Women 25 through 24.
- Men 25 through 34.
- Women 13 through 17.
And the top five countries in terms of Facebook users discussing Monday’s Group A matches were:
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.